Helen Keller National Center
09/12/2023Return to view all job openings
We currently have an exciting full time career opportunity available to join the HKS team as a virtual Rehabilitation Instructor at our Long Island Training Building in Sands Point, NY. The Rehabilitation Counselor ensures that the emotional impact of living with DeafBlindness is addressed in a supportive environment both at the Helen Keller National Center (HKNC) and in the field. This involves both counseling and education addressing personal adjustment and the psychosocial impact related to DeafBlindness for consumers at HKNC and those being supported in the field. The Rehabilitation Counsellor acts as advocate, resource, and coach by empowering consumers through supports and challenges to maximize consumer input and responsibility to their training program for achieving their goals. Acts as primary liaison with state vocational rehabilitation counselors and consumer for ensuring HKNC services are aligned with the consumer’s abilities, talents, future opportunities and aspirations.
This is a flexible hour position with shifts that can start and end later to meet the needs of individuals on the west coast. A Saturday shift may be a possibility for a participant who works during the week.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide ongoing counseling/psychotherapy to consumers both in person and virtually.
- Develop, coordinate and implement in person and virtual Support Groups.
- Work with Medical Services Department to ensure medication protocols are accessible and followed.
- Provide on-going support and training to staff in the field, training and residence building in issues related to mental health.
- Develop a consistent system for maintaining the documentation of counseling sessions to be kept in the confidential file.
- Review consultation referral forms; make recommendations and complete summary.
- Participate in the RC COP.
- Provide family counseling and education.
- Conduct psychosocial assessments as needed.
- Ensures services provided to consumers are person-centered and meet the consumer’s needs:
- Works collaboratively with team members (consumer and staff) to develop and implement Trans-disciplinary training program in accordance with IPE and student desires, capacities and abilities leading to the achievement of consumer outcomes of increased independence, employment, empowerment and self-advocacy.
- Facilitates and/or participates in team meetings, Employment Planning Meetings, transition meeting to ensure quality of service, coordination of trans-disciplinary goals and consumer inclusivity and satisfaction and compiles reports.
- Provides personal communication counseling services to consumers individually or in groups to ensure well-being, l training needs are met, and the establishment and coordination of long/short term goals. Ensures psychological, physical, educational, social-cultural and rehabilitative needs are met as determined necessary and beneficial to the individual to maximize program participation and independence.
- Maintains appropriate documentation, i.e., case notes, authorizations, record of student account and aids and devices purchased. Follows policies regarding regular check-in’s for consumer safety, satisfaction and unmet needs.
The virtual schedule may include evening or weekend hours to accommodate different time zones or participant schedule needs.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in social work (MSW) required; LCSW certifications.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working with individuals who are DeafBlind.
- Proficiency in ASL required
- Knowledge of braille and other methods of communication used by persons who are DeafBlind required or must be developed within one year. Knowledge of Deaf and DeafBlind culture required.
- Paid vacation time, Paid Sick Time, Personal Days
- Paid Holidays
- Short Term Disability/ Life Insurance
- Voluntary Ancillary Benefits
- 403b Program with Employer Match
- Tuition Assistance
- Career Advancement Opportunities
*No-frills positions are those that receive an additional 10% premium on the hourly rate of pay, but do not participate in the Union Health Insurance Plan. Individuals seeking a No-frills position must show they have alternative insurance to be eligible.