05/03/2022Return to view all job openings
The Orientation and Mobility (O&M) Specialist has the opportunity to positively impact the lives of blind and visually impaired individuals. The O&M is responsible for assisting blind and visually impaired clients achieve personal adjustment and maximum independence through orientation and mobility training techniques that aid in daily living skills.
- Interview clients, conducts assessments, provides instruction and/or training, and evaluates progress to determine present, and required or desired orientation and mobility goals.
- Conduct orientation and mobility assessment process with client that focuses on both short-term and long-term needs of the client.
- Provide orientation and mobility instruction, to include but not limited to, body imagery, sensory awareness, spatial concepts, compass direction concepts, basic protective and information gathering techniques, map skills, cane skills and utilizing public transportation.
Education: Bachelors or Masters degree with graduate training in orientation and mobility required.
Experience: Minimum of 1-3 years of previous experience in orientation and mobility training required.
Licenses/Certifications: Current Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist (COMS) certified by the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals (ACVREP) required. Current Certified Teacher of Students with Visual Impairment in Texas (CTVI certification preferred. Current CPR/First Aid certification required.
We offer team members great benefits!
- Careers with a purpose
- Teamwork environment
- Amazing 401K Retirement Plan
- Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA Plans
- 10 Paid Holidays
- PTO and Vacation