Braille Institute of America, Inc.
01/12/2022Return to view all job openings
This position is responsible for:
- Conducting initial and on-going assessment of orientation and mobility skills for visually impaired individuals;
- Identifying and discussing mobility/travel goals and objectives;
- Determining and communicating the extent of training needed to achieve goals;
- Developing and documenting lesson plans;
- Documenting students’ progress using company data software;
- Scheduling students for Orientation & Mobility classes;
- Teaching students in the classroom, in the field, and in the home setting;
- Also teaching balance/coordination to students as needed;
- Assuring that visually impaired individuals are able to travel safely, confidently and efficiently;
- Conducting seminars and presentations in the community.
- Master's degree in Special Education with specialization in Orientation & Mobility;
- Strong knowledge of Orientation & Mobility training techniques and mobility devices for the visually impaired also required;
- At least one year of experience training visually impaired and/or disabled individuals is desirable;
- Good communication, training, time management, and organizational skills;
- The ability to work independently and effectively train the visually impaired to achieve their Orientation & Mobility goals is essential;
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Braille Institute of America, Inc. is a private, NGO that positively transforms the lives of those with vision loss. Join our team and have real impact by helping more than 37,000 people of all ages who are blind or visually impaired maintain their independence, learn new skills and lead fulfilling lives. All of our services are free of charge and offered at our 7 Southern California centers, as well as remotely through online classes and teleservices. We are looking for someone who has a passion to serve, enjoys mission-driven work and thrives in a teamwork culture.