07/13/2018Return to view all job openings
Western Pennsylvania School for Blind Children
Responsible to: Assistant Superintendent
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
Work Year: 260 Days
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated annually
Minimum Qualifications: The Department Principal is required to hold: Special Education Supervisor Certification or Principal’s Papers (or pursuing such certification); five (5) years of teaching or direct instruction experience; experience working with a student population that has multiple disabilities. Prior management experience and Teacher of the Visually Impaired Certification is preferred, as is a proven record of building positive relationships based on trust. The individual must hold required clearances (Criminal Background Check, Child Abuse Clearance, and Federal (FBI) Clearance).
1. Administrative experience
2. Teacher of the Visually Impaired Certification
3. Ed.D. or Ph.D.
1. Provide supervision for the faculty and staff of the assigned Department through close supervision and regular feedback, including performance evaluations.
2. Contribute to the oversight of the daily operations of the School.
3. Serve as a member of the Leadership Team.
4. Collaborate with other Principals and members of the Leadership team on a regular basis.
5. Develop classroom rosters, classroom schedules, specialty class schedules, etc. and collaborate with other Directors and Supervisors in therapist assignments.
6. Oversee the IEP process, monitor IEP goal progress, make IEP revisions, and facilitate IEP meetings.
7. Review all progress reports prior to sending to families and IUs/ School Districts.
8. Counsel and advise staff on pertinent family/student/staff concerns or issues.
9. Oversee and monitor curriculum implementation and collaborate with Director of Staff Development and Training.
10. Participate in and/or chair various committees throughout the school.
11. Implement areas of the Strategic Plan and monitor progress.
12. Facilitate regular staff meetings to keep staff up to date.
13. Plan and run STEM classes one day a week.
14. Approve timecards on Paycom.
15. Comply with and have knowledgeable of Collective Bargaining Agreements.
16. Conduct investigations when necessary.
17. Communicate effectively in stressful situations.
18. Manage departmental budget.
19. Manage and maintain inventory control for the department.
20. Be available for overnight travel or overnight work, as needed.
21. Participate in professional organizations (local, regional and national).
22. Participate in ongoing professional development relevant to department and leadership.
23. Have knowledge of both State and Federal regulations regarding Special Education.
24. Work on projects and perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Superintendent
Knowledge and Experience:
1. Demonstrated experience teaching or providing direct instruction to students with visual impairments and/or multiple disabilities
2. Certification as Supervisor of Special Education or Principal, or willingness to obtain
1. Enthusiastic and positive demeanor
2. Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form
3. Receptive to receiving direction and constructive criticism
4. Reliable and dependable
5. Cultivates relationships based on trust
6. Organized and responsive
1. 40 hour onsite work week
2. Minimal travel, if any
Cert: Any Certification
Please forward resume and cover letter via email. Questions? Contact Barbara Cunningham @ (412) 621-6013